When Storms Roll In
Even though hurricane season is technically over, it doesn’t change the fact that we can still experience severe storms. It doesn’t matter the time of year, your home and your roof are at risk of being badly damaged when there is a chance for wind, rain, and/or hail. Most homes in our area are built and designed to handle the rough elements Texas can throw at us, but there are many that aren’t. For those that aren’t prepared for bad weather, you may face significant damages. When you need reliable assistance with roof storm damage in Melissa and McKinney, TX, look no further than Trophy Roofing. Our trusted roofers will provide immediate and emergency services as needed. Dial 972-439-1145 to get started.
How to Tell If Roof Has Storm Damage
Finding damage to your roof can feel like you’re going on a scavenger hunt. There are several things to pay attention for, similar to the plumbing leak detection process. With the roof, however, there are very specific things to pay attention to if you are trying to determine damage. Of course, the best way to confirm that is with a roof inspection by a professional roofer. Otherwise, you can look for certain signs that will help you decide whether or not to call that roofer.
- Damaged Shingles: A sign of storm damage can be identified by cracked or curling shingles. Normally they should lay flat, but strong winds and changing temperatures can cause shingles to crack, buckle, and bubble. Not forgetting hail, which can break off pieces of shingles during heavy storms.
- Missing Shingles: When the winds are powerful enough, they can easily rip shingles off of your roof. If you notice gaps in down the line, there is roof damage due to storms.
- Dents and Dings: In some cases, the shingles may look fine but they are not the only area to look at. Pay attention to the gutters, flashing, box vents and other areas that can show signs of damage. These areas may appear dented or dinged, which could indicate larger problems.
- Granules: While looking at the gutters, also pay attention to what is inside the gutters as well. If you notice excessive amounts of granules coating the inside, your shingles may be compromised.
It can be difficult to know how to inspect a roof for storm damage, which is why if you’re unsure about anything, don’t hesitate to rely on the experts. Professional roofers do this for a living for a reason. Professional roofers, like those with Trophy Roofing, also provide quality roof storm damage repair when you need it. Because it’s not enough to just identify the damage, you also need to repair it and restore your roof. In doing so, you’ll ensure a reliable and quality structure for you and your family.
Storm Damage Roof Claim?
Should you file a roof insurance claim or should you not? That is a tough question for a lot of homeowners. Filing a claim is a long and daunting process that can affect your insurance rates for years to come. Not only that, it can quickly become a very expensive process.
The best time to file a claim is when you know any damage to your roof was caused by a storm. In order to determine that, you need to schedule an inspection with a reliable roofer. They can take a look at your structure and give you the final verdict. If there is roof damage due to storm elements such as wind or hail, then it is highly recommended to file a claim. These elements are known as “covered perils” which most insurance providers offer coverage for. However, if the cause of your roof damage was not the result of storm elements, but neglect on your part, then insurance will likely not cover repairs or replacement costs. For any other questions about a storm damage roof claim, contact Trophy Roofing today.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is roof damage covered by insurance?
- It will depend on what ultimately caused the damage. If an inspector determines storm elements like wind or hail caused and resulted in the most damage, then your insurance will cover repairs. If an inspector determines there was existing damage caused by neglect that was then exacerbated by wind or hail, then no, insurance will not cover the repairs.
- What do I do if my roof is blown off?
- Start by getting out of the house as quickly as possible. Staying will increase your risk of injury to yourself or your loved ones. Then contact a reliable roofer and your insurance provider as soon as possible to get a roof replacement process started.
- What wind speed can cause roof damage?
- According to the National Weather Service, wind speeds at 45 mph can cause some damage, but this is range is typically classified as non-severe. Usually, once winds get into the 70-80 mph range, then there will be the real possibility of damage.
- Why are roofs blown off during storms?
- Because they are not installed or designed to withstand strong, forceful winds. This can happen to homes in areas that experience cyclones, tornadoes, and other strong winds.
- Will my insurance replace my roof?
- If your roof was severely damaged by wind, rain, or hail then insurance will more than likely replace your roof. Since it is a costly process, they will inspect to confirm the ultimate damage was caused by the elements and not neglect on your part.
Connect With Us Today for More Services!
Rely on Trophy Roofing for all your roofing and storm damage needs. Connect with us today, 972-439-1145, for help with roof storm damage in Melissa and McKinney, TX.